NanoValbruna & NanoPičiule
NanoValbruna is the first NanoGreen Festival of Friuli Venezia Giulia. Focused on the application of nanotechnologies for the solution of environmental and energy issues, this event promotes a double perspective: identifying innovative solutions to support the Green Economy and putting the economic and social resources of this territory and its community on the line.
Alongside the scientific panels, with the attendance of international leaders, the program foresees numerous interactions and exchanges with the local community, and two days of activities dedicated to school-aged children (NanoPičiule), directed by young researchers, experienced teachers, and designed with the collaboration and presence of senior scientists.
NanoValbruna and NanoPičiule mirror the NanoGagliato and NanoPiccola model, which has been witnessing extraordinary success since 2008 in Gagliato, a small town in the Catanzaro province. During its twelve editions, NanoGagliato has brought dozens of internationally renowned scientists to this town, from the Nobel Prize for medicine Lee Artwell to astronaut Luca Parmitano and leading personalities in the biotechnology sector, to discuss and debate the most urgent issues in medical research. It has also welcomed creative people from a range of sectors from all over the world, interacting with the population and activating energies to reach new generations and bringing about a change in the social fabric of the entire community.
The NanoGagliato and NanoPiccola days have gained national and international fame, assigning the Municipality of Gagliato the nickname of “Town of NanoSciences”, as well as mention in the UNESCO Global Report presented at UN HABITAT III, United Nations Conference held in Quito, in 2016.
The Accademia di Glagliato Globale (AGG) stemmed from NanoGagliato and NanoPiccola in 2019 with the aim of promoting the replication of this model in other peripheral realities for the benefit of their communities. The first such replication was NanoBach, an event held on October 2, 2019 in Swansea, Wales, which confirmed the validity of the AGG model, recording significant success.
Thursday, July 2
First day of scientific experiments for children, lead by Marina Cisilino and Paolo Ganzini in cooperation with young reaserchers. Organization by the International Cultural Association La Cordata.
Welcome to Valbruna
A walking tour of the village accompanied by local stories, legends and traditions with Daniela Piussi.
The route of the Great War (Excursion)
A journey through the past of Val Saisera at the foot of Julian Alps with Davide Tonazzi.
Friday, July 3
Second day of scientific experiments for children, lead by Marina Cisilino and Paolo Ganzini in cooperation with young reaserchers. Organization by the International Cultural Association La Cordata.
Sustainability of the Mountain’s Ecosystem and Green Economy: What are the Challenges? What the Opportunities?
Challenge Session with scientists and experts from Friuli Venezia Giulia.
Forte Beisner (Excursion)
A chance for girls and boys to meet scientists during a walk and guided tour of Forte Beisner with the Association Landscape.
A walk through Ripniak towards the chalet of Massimo Rossetto.
Exploring frontier Nano-research for a Timely Transition to Green Energy and Solutions to Global Challenges
The Framework: Green Tech for Global Challenges Old and New
Welcome by Paola Del Zotto Ferrari. Opening remarks by Jaime Nack, Giulia Grancini & Daniela Arroyo-Olson.
From Earth to Space: Panoramic Vistas on The Climate Emergency
NanoVirtual Duet 1 with Mauro Ferrari & Luca Parmitano.
Building Nanotech and Nano-objects for Green Solutions
NanoVirtual Duet 2 with Liberato Manna & Francesco Bonaccorso.
Nano-solutions from Bio to Green Revolution
NanoVirtual Duet 3 with Luisa Torsi, George Malliaras & Eleni Stavrinidou.
Nano-solutions for Food Security and Biodiversity
NanoVirtual Duet 4 with Nicolas Plumeré & Nils Bunnefeld.
Women & The Green Reset: Time for an Equality Moonshot
Closing session by Paola Del Zotto Ferrari & Tess Mateo, followed by Q&A and conclusive remarks.
Saturday, July 4
Science: the Musical
Live concert with and by Mauro Ferrari and the R&B Band. In case of rain the event will take place in Pontebba (venue tbd).
Sunday, July 5
The Forest of Tarvisio (Excursion)
A guided hike through the millennial forest with the Forestry Corps of Regione Autonoma FVG. Bring your packed lunch.
Jaime NackPresident & Founder of Three Squares Inc. Special Guest
- President of Three Squares Inc.
- Director of Sustainability and Greening Operations for the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver
- Young Global Leader nominated by World Economic Forum 2011
Giulia GranciniScientific Director of NanoValbruna, Researcher
- Professor of Physical Chemistry at University of Pavia
- Director of PVsquared2 group
- Leader of ERC St Grant HYNANO
- USERN Ambassador for Italy
- Board member of YAE
Paola Del Zotto FerrariPresident of Accademia di Gagliato Globale
- Founder of Accademia di Gagliato delle NanoScienze
- Impactmania’s Woman of Impact 2017
- Lamborghini’s Female Advisory Board (FAB) Member and Sustainability Consultant
Daniela Arroyo-OlsonCo-Founder of Ecofye, Enterpreneur
- Expert in Management, Climate Finance, Climate Science and Business Development
- Winner of the Lamborghini Future FAB Award
Mauro FerrariProfessor, Director, Entrepreneur
- Affiliate Professor of Pharmaceutics, University of Washington
- Director, Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals
- Director, University of St Thomas, Houston
- Former President European Research Council
- Singer and Saxophonist
Luca ParmitanoESA Astronaut, Engineer
- First Italian Commander of the International Space Station during Expedition 61
Liberato MannaProfessor at UniGe, Deputy Director of IIT
- Professor of Theoretical Chemistry and Electronic Structure of Solids at University of Genova
- Deputy director of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia for the Materials and Nanotechnology programs
Francesco BonaccorsoScientific Director of BeDimensional, Researcher
- Scientific Director of BeDimensional S.p.A.
- Visiting Scientist at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia
Luisa TorsiProfessor at UniBa, Adjunct Professor at Åbo
- Professor of Chemistry at University of Bari (Italy)
- Adjunct Professor at Åbo Akademi University (Finland)
- Former President of the European Materials Research Society
- One of the 100Experts by Fondazione Bracco
George MalliarasProfessor at University of Cambridge, Researcher
- Prince Philip Professor of Technology at the University of Cambridge
- Deputy Editor of Science Advances
- Director of the EPSRC IRC in targeted delivery for hard-to-treat cancers
Eleni StavrinidouAssistant Professor at Linköping University
- Leader of the Electronic Plants (ePlants) subgroup of LOE
- Assistant Professor of Organic Electronics
- Coordinator of HyPhOE-FET-OPEN project
Nicolas PlumeréProfessor at University of Ruhr
- Professor of Analytical Chemistry at CES, Faculty of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Leader of ERC St Grant Redox Shields
Nils BunnefeldProfessor at University of Stirling
- Professor of Biological and Environmental Sciences University of Stirling
- Leader of ERC St Grant ConFooBio
Tess MateoManaging Director & Founder of CXCatalysts
- Integral Investor serving on the Advisory Board of AQAL Capital
- Special Advisor on Gender and Climate to the United Nations